This is a long overdue before and after. I started way back here. But I ran into major problems with gold leafing. The guy at the Art Supply store warned me that it would be difficult. And I didn’t listen, nor did I read the instructions or even googled for a tutorial. I just winged it. My first attempt came out pretty smooth and nice on the exterior with the exception of a few spots that wouldn’t fully take the gold leaf. I figured I could just add another layer. But then I tried leafing the inside of the open shelves and I couldn’t get the gold leaf to stick. So I kept adding.
Layer. after. layer. after. layer.
And somewhere between those layers, I began to get frustrated and impatient. You could see the caked up leaf in some spots by this point. Stubbornly, I proceeded, confident that I could mask with yet another layer.
The husband, stopped in front of my work area one day and casually said,
“It looks like chunks of gold nuggets.”
He was right.
So, perfectionist that I am, I started to sand. and. sand. and. sand. And sand.
But the thing with gold leaf is that you have to apply a very sticky adhesive, so that the gold will stick. And when you sand, the adhesive starts to come through like a big gooey mess. So at this point I was considering trashing the whole dresser, but I couldn’t bring myself to not finish. After 3(!) coats of stripper and 2(!) coats of Goo Begone, it was ready to be gold-leafed again.
And long story short,
Here is the finished dresser.
Just a few more days till you see it in it’s proper setting.
Can’t wait to finish!